5)PAPERCRAFT PROCESS: DIGITAL SAMPLES



Diving into It

(I have no waterwings but I do have a can do attitude)

    This portion of the project is to create a minimum of 8 forms or objects in Rhino. These objects had to be significant to us, whether it be objects from our own lives or objects that reflect who we are as individuals. I found this bit of the project to be challenging as some of my ideas were more ambitious than my current skills allowed for. Originally I thought of just things from my childhood as well as things that I frequently need or use. However, as I began building I thought more and more about what their nets would look like and how they would translate in paper-craft. 

Planning 





Box 

This was, albeit, a very basic or easy object to unfold. However, I wanted to begin with something easy to test my own ability within rhino. I had also originally brainstormed creating a moving box, as I identify with the narrative of moving from my own lived experiences. 


Pencil 

For this object, although I felt it was a bit on the nose. I thought the object spoke to creativity, and the versatility of it. Meaning that it can mean and accomplish different things, which is what makes it so impactful. 
    This was also more of a challenge in the means of working with tapering for the pencil tip as well as a mix of both organic and inorganic shapes in the same object. 



Quality Street Box 

This object was easier to understand when unfolding compared to some of the others. I leant into the wonky design of the box. Which originally wasn’t my plan, but I really liked the outcome of it. Quality Street was always a Christmas staple when I was back in the UK, and while it still is here, I always regard them with nostalgia and wanted to experiment with them for this project. 
 

Dollhouse 

For this object I used both the manual unfolding explode and rotate feature as well as the Unrollsrf feature.  I did this in order to see all of the smaller faces that I would miss when doing the rotations. While this was more time consuming i was able to better understand the pieces that would be left when I would rotate the overall shape. 
    Like other objects I have made this is also one that I pulled inspiration from my childhood. Specifically, the Christmas I got a dollhouse that my grandad made for me. 


Night Light 

This object was the most challenging to unfold, and also why the image is incomplete. I had the idea to create a night light as it reminds me of the ones I still have in the hallways of my house to this day. However, actually creating this was a different story, and I quickly found myself struggling when it came to the unfolding part. 
        In the future I think I will start with the basic shapes being unfolded then move towards the more difficult ones. 


Nail polish 

Out of this process the little tube of nail polish I made is amoung my favourite. Not only it it simple, which means I can add smaller details to it, but it is also tied to memories that up until recently I had forgotten about. When I was little every time I went to my Grandad Mick’s house my Nan would take me into the kitchen. Where she would set me on the counter and paint my finger nails while she cooked dinner. 


Chocobar 

Despite the tedious work that went into this object I am very happy with the outcome. Instead of unfolding each chocolate nobly bit I just did the one as they are all identical. I, like a lot of people, find a lot of comfort and nostalgia in chocolate, thus its appearance in this project. 

Pill Bottle 

Much like my other favourites in this portion of this piece I enjoyed the simplicity of this object. I decided to use an item that I, and many other people, use and rely upon as one of my objects. As, like previous examples, can have small details added to it that will improve them and give them tone or theme. 






Comments

Popular Posts