Paper-craft Object: First Prototype


Prototypes
(Philly the prototype pilly potty)



Original Digital Sample


I decided to go with my pill pot design from my digital samples. As, although it was a simpler design, I thought that there were small details such as the label and scale that I could play with. 



Process for Prototype


I first began with creating the object from scratch again. This time using methods and notes I had learnt in class the week before the break. This is seen in changing the shapes from perfect circles and cylinders into instead polygons. I found that this also made it easier to apply the tabs, and layers for cutting vs scoring lines. 


I then followed the process of making a net to print and going through and changing the layers for the pieces that I would need to cut and that I would need to score. 



One of my biggest challenges in this part of the process was creating an accurate scale to print the object. Although we had gone over it in class, I struggled when doing it on my own time as I did not understand how to accurately scale the digital image to fit the physical letterhead paper. But after looking at the online guides and tutorials I was able to put it onto the letterhead to then transfer to the card-stock at school. 


Building Prototype Process

Originally I printed out my prototype on letter head at home. I used this to trace onto the card-stock paper with the exacto blade and paper clip (to score). Through this process I quickly realized that it would be more effective to cut directly onto the card and in the final composition I will be doing said process to maximize ease in creating it. 
    Along with that I was also able to look at the effectiveness of my design when actually building it, i.e. tab size, tab location and scale of the over all model. 


Prototype



    After completing this first draft of prototype I did some brainstorming about what I could improve and add to the design. I found that the tabs that I had were oddly placed so that is another thing I will be thinking about, as well as the size of the body of the bottle. 

Ideas for Final Product

For the brainstorming  process I wanted to look at what would make my object more interesting or tell more of a story. I explored the idea of creating a label to wrap around the bottle, experimenting with both imagery and words that surround the dialogues of taking medication that I have heard and read about my own personal journey with  it. 

    I also explored the idea of making the bottle “larger than life” or at least manipulating the scale to be more interesting compositionally. I thought of how I could achieve this goal using the same process I used for the prototype. 





 

Comments

Popular Posts